This batch of eggs started in a similar fashion as the fall leaves and Valentine's Day hearts I made several months ago. I created a tie-dye background effect with multiple colors of royal icing, then piped some detail on top.
What I had originally intended as an elegant swirl pattern sort of morphed into a groovy 60's thing. That happens a lot, by the way: I start out with a picture in my head, but the process sort of takes on a life of its own. The end result is often very different from the mental plan.
I made these to fill an auction basket for a local preschool here in Hampton. The school (and teachers) holds a special place in my heart, as it's where my cookie making "reason for being" basically started -- I set out to learn how to bake and decorate my own cookies for Aidan and his classmates and their various special occasions.