Monday, May 31, 2010

cochinita pibil, tacos al pastor and coffee

I've blogged before about my idea of breakfast in Heaven -- fresh, authentic, Mexican tacos. This morning's take-out choice from Jarro Cafe in Houston was cochinita pibil (traditional slow-roasted Mexican pork marinated in citrus and achiote paste) and tacos al pastor (marinated pork cooked on a rotisserie with fresh pineapple).

But here's my embarrassing secret ... I adore them with a cup of coffee that would make most people roll their eyes and shake a finger at me -- freshly-ground beans (preferably from Ruta Maya Coffee House in Austin), about 1/3 a coffee mug of heavy cream, and several heaping teaspoons of Demerara sugar -- kind of my own personal Texas café au lait. I don't drink it often, but when I do, I savor every sip.

Goodness.


No comments: