Friday, March 13, 2009

'fessing up


... ok. I'm going to admit it. There's no shame in it. A bunch of people are starting to do it. It's really convenient. And it doesn't mean that I still don't appreciate the really good stuff (do I sound defensive enough yet?)....

I've recently been drinking wine out of a box!!!


There! I said it!

Here's the story. About a week ago, my mom picked up a box of Hardy's, an Australian wine. I opened the refrigerator and, in true wine snob fashion, immediately jumped all over her. "What the heck is this box of wine doing in here?"

I have no idea why she bought it. Maybe it was on sale. Who knows. But damn! I love having a box of wine (spigot and all!) in the front of the fridge on the top shelf! We've been drinking on the chardonnay, so it's always nice to have it really cold. And talk about convenient! You just press the little bottle and, voila! Instant refreshment!

Just because I'm still feeling self-conscious about it and sort of feel the need to further defend my actions, I'm providing excerpts from a review of the Hardy's boxed wine. It's from The Boxed Wine Spot (who knew there was such a thing?!). Actually, after doing a little bit of research, several online sites tout the positives of wine in a box. I was really surprised!

Boxed wine cheap, but doesn't taste it

Hardys of southeastern Australia is a major producer of wines in the land down under.

One of the company's claims to fame is the production of really good wine packaged in three-liter boxes, the equivalent of four regular bottles of wine. These boxes are made of heavy cardboard with a plastic bag inside that is filled with wine and sealed. At the bottom of the bag is a pouring spigot.

The wine can be kept in the refrigerator or on a shelf without any deterioration problems from oxidation for an incredibly long six weeks. The boxes also are a great way to carry your wine to a party, barbecue or out to the lake.

How fun does that sound???

But wait! There's more!
- Hardys 2006 South Eastern Australia Chardonnay (three-liter box/$18.99). Here is a perfect example of a modern Australian chardonnay, and an example of what can be accomplished with grapes from a fine growing area. The aroma stresses green apples, pears, melons and spice, with oak and vanilla in the background. The green apple and the melon are the most prominent flavors, with an entire collection of tropical fruits lying just offshore. This chardonnay deserves your attention, especially at the price.

Now, don't get me wrong. I'm still all about pulling the cork on a fine Cabernet or Pinot Grigio. But I'm so glad that I've discovered an alternative to Franzia.

1 comment:

Coastie Family of 5 said...

I love it!! Im going out to try this box wine tonight. Wish me luck!!!