Wednesday, July 06, 2011

{ spicy cool cilantro yogurt sauce }

I've repeatedly scribed about my love affair with El Pato Mexican tomato sauce. It has a perfect spicy flavor without being overwhelmingly hot, and goes well with so many recipes. I adore it, and it's become a staple in my pantry (added bonus: you can buy it at Wal-Mart!).

So recently when I needed a cool cream sauce for shrimp tacos, I naturally turned to my favorite condiment, El Pato, and added it to yogurt and a few other spices. In the process, I made a pleasant and surprising discovery -- the resulting tasty concoction is good on so many different dishes. I've topped scrambled eggs with it for an amazingly scrumptious breakfast. I've also used it as a dipping side (much like sour cream) for chicken cilantro quesadillas, where it blends so well with warm chicken and ooey gooey melted cheese.

I've now taken to keeping a bowl of my "goes with anything" sauce in a covered glass bowl in the refrigerator. It easily spoons on top of so many different things!


Ingredients
  • 2 cups plain yogurt
  • 1/4 cup El Pato tomato sauce
  • 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
  • 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
  • 1 tablespoon garlic powder
  • 1/2 tablespoon cayenne pepper
  • 1/2 tablespoon salt
Process
Whisk together yogurt and El Pato sauce. Add cilantro and lime juice, and then remaining seasonings.

Spoon over favorite dishes, such as tacos or quesadillas, or use as a dipping substitute for sour cream.


Keep in refrigerator and enjoy!

1 comment:

From Beyond My Kitchen Window said...

Wow, this sounds delicious and I will be heading to Wal-Mart to score a few cans of the tomato sauce. Can't wait to try it on eggs.