Thursday, February 23, 2012

( freshly-squeezed whiskey sours )

Using freshly-squeezed citrus in this cocktail makes all the difference in the world. If you don't have a mini-juicer, my unsolicited tip du-jour is to invest in one. The Cuisinart Citrus Pro Juicer that I own can be purchased for about $25. I use mine as much as any other appliance in my kitchen, especially in cocktail-making. It sits right next to my blender, always plugged in and ready for use.

Now, back to whiskey sours. You know it's a classic cocktail when there's a maraschino cherry involved.

*One more quick item I want to discuss is the simple syrup. It's another ingredient I always keep on hand for cocktails -- I keep it in a mini glass pitcher in the refrigerator. The standard simple syrup ratio is 1:1 (1 cup of sugar to one cup of water; bring sugar to a boil, simmer until the sugar is completely dissolved; chill before using); however, I use a 2:1 ratio (2 cups of sugar to 1 cup of water). It allows me to use less syrup in my drinks, and it's a little bit thicker, which I like. Which simple syrup you use makes a difference in the recipe, as far as how much to add.

Freshly-squeezed Whiskey Sours
(adapted from Ina Garten)

Ingredients
  • 3/4 cup whiskey (I prefer Maker's Mark)
  • 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (approximately 4 lemons)
  • 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lime juice (approximately 4 limes)
  • 1/3 cup sugar syrup* (2/3 cup if using a 1:1 syrup - see note above)
  • Crushed ice
  • Maraschino cherries

  • Process
    Combine whiskey, lemon juice, lime juice, and simple syrup. Fill a cocktail shaker halfway with ice and pour in the drink mix 2/3 full. Shake for 15 seconds and pour into glasses over crushed ice.

    Add a maraschino cherry.

    No comments: