Friday, March 14, 2008

Spring Break at 35


Back when I was a teenager, my "big" Spring Break trips were to the Cayman Islands and to Florida with my best friend and my sister. I remember giddily planning everything down to the tiniest little detail, like what kind of sunglasses to pack and which mix tape to listen to on my Walkman on the airplane. We were silly girls with our big silver jewelry and bottles of Hawaiian Tropic, hitting the beach to bake ourselves for days and try and escape from our adult chaperones at night. Ahhh, the memories.


Spring Break still marks my calendar every year, except now I'm the school teacher, not the high school student. But rather than anticipating the number of cute guys I might run into at the Fontainbleu Hotel pool in Miami, I'm simply ecstatic these days over the thought of spending a whole week with my 2-year-old little dude, ARF. I doubt I'll put on a swim suit (no thanks necessary!), or even go anywhere near the beach. Although there is a patch of sand in the playground at the Lupe Tortilla near our home.


What I'm most looking forward to this year is the possibility of reading a good book, soaking in the tub with bubbles and a glass of wine, taking ARF to the park or the zoo, and maybe cooking a few good meals in the evenings without having to worry about packing a school lunch or getting laundry done before bedtime. Pure Heaven.


Don't get me wrong ... I could very easily be talked into a few good frozen drinks with umbrellas floating in them.

No comments: