Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Take me out to the ballgame

Today is opening day of baseball season. In honor of America's pasttime, I thought I'd compile a list of my favorite things about the game.

* the automatic, carefree feeling that comes with springtime and summertime

* the crack of the bat

* the Astros Sunday unis

* the old-school organ (duh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh ... CHARGE!)

* cold beer

* Minute Maid Park

* the fans at Olsen Field in College Station

* the fact that 4-year-olds or 40-year-olds can play it -- you don't have to be a bulked-up freak of nature either (unless you're Barry Bonds)

* hot dogs

* kids waiting for autographs

* the history and spirt of the game

* did I mention cold beer?

2 comments:

Beverly said...

A few more, borrowed from a "Sporting News" article:

------------------

More reasons to like Baseball:

A long Home Stand.

Veterans hanging out for another year.

Oh my, Nolan Ryan.

The double steal.

Old school sliding under the tag.

Swing, batter, batter, batter, swing.

It only takes one.

A walk is as good as a hit.

Tickets to the World Series.

Last but not least, Opening Day.

Been there, been there and been there. Nothing like it.

Becky said...

And I'm going to add that ANY uniform, Sunday or other, is a reason to like baseball. Yum, yum, yum. ;)