Sunday, March 02, 2008

Sunday blues?

I fight it. I really do. But more often than not, I seem to be one of those "glass half-empty" kind of people. I wish I wasn't, and I really do count my blessings (of which there are many). But for some reason, I tend to lean toward the cynical side of things.

One area I have a hard time shaking this negative way of thinking is on Sundays. Rather than being able to soak in and enjoy the serenity of the day, I tend to focus on the fact that the next day is Monday. So more often than not, I end up feeling trapped by Sundays -- like I can't truly take it all in because the end is so near. It's a horrible way to end a weekend!

So today I'm turning over a new lease on life. I'm going to face my Sunday demons head-on. I'm going to make every possible effort to start soaking up more of the glory that is Sunday. I thought a good way to start would be to list my favorite things about this Day of Rest. Here goes:
  • The ability to savor and taste, not just gulp down, the perfect cup of coffee. This morning, it's nothing with foam or style -- just a simple cup of Folgers with Coffee-Mate Pralines and Cream added. Delish.

  • A trip to the local Mexican hole-in-the-wall for a big'ol' authentic Mexican breakfast. There's a dumpy place in Houston called Casa de Leon that my family regularly frequents. There's nothing quite like hearing the Spanish version of "When the Lights go Down in the City" playing on the jukebox while chowing down on a plate of breakfast tacos and, if the craving grabs you, a cold Corona (yeah, even if you want it before noon). It's one of life's great moments. I ran across a great blog this morning by Homesick Texan about the religion of Texas breakfast tacos. It's a must-read.

  • Spending quality time cuddling on the couch with my son, watching Blue's Clues.

  • In the autumn months (and the boiling days of August and September in the Lone Star State), catching up on the previous day's gridiron results ... hopefully re-living every stellar detail of a big Aggie win.
  • A quick road-trip. It doesn't have to be a grand affair. A drive down to Kemah for lunch on the water. Or heading over to beautiful Chappell Hill, Texas to spend a day at the Bluebonnet Festival in April.

  • Hanging out with my family all damn day. There's simply nothing better.
  • The Peace of the day -- Sunday is inheritantly about giving all glory to God, and there's nothing more serene and beautiful than that.

1 comment:

Beverly said...

An excellent attitude, and I applaud you for taking a proactive approach to your presentiment.

After all ... from a purely empirical standpoint, Sunday is no different than any other day of the week. Our own individual approach to the day is that which can negatively set it apart. On the flip side, why not make it the best day of the week?

Be the master of your universe.



Allow me to add some of what makes Sunday special ....


- The opportunity for closing chapters from last week and starting new ones.

- Keeping God front and center and glorifying Him.

- Taking a nap in the middle of the day.

- Mimosas at 10am.

- Getting out holiday decorations (i.e. Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas) is always more fun on a Sunday.

- No one else *expects* you to do anything.


Happy Sunday. Have a good week.