Monday, May 12, 2008

flip flops

I love everything about flip flops. I love the way they look. I love the way they feel. I love the sounds they make when I'm walking in them.

You can't help but feel good when you're wearing flip flops. It usually means that life is casual and fun ... and you're somewhere in the neighborhood of summertime. But it doesn't have to be summer, and therein lies the greatness of flip flops -- they work even if you're wearing sweats.

You may wonder why I'm writing about my favorite shoe today. Sadly, it's because the principal at the school where I work has banned flip flops. Yes, I said BANNED flip flops. All I can say is, the guy is clearly out of touch. I work with a bunch of amazing women (and a few men) who arrive at work every day ready to give our kiddos 100%. I mean, come on. None of us are in this career for the money, right? We do it because we love teaching kids.

For the most part, nobody schleps themself into work wearing the shower-shoe type of flip flops. The girls at work dress really cute, often times accessorizing perfectly with a rainbow of stylish and fun flip flops -- leather ones, pink ones, jeweled ones, ribboned ones ... you name it. It's great. We're elementary school teachers, not investment bankers!

So, from here on out, it's adios to my flip flops at work. Which will make them that much more adored by me when I'm at home. Things around here already seem a little big gloomier without that flip flopping music ringing in the halls.

People (specifically, principals), really shouldn't sweat the little things. Life is too damn short.

No comments: