Thursday, August 14, 2008

music suggestion, du jour

First off, I can't believe I haven't blogged since TS Edouard! Yikes!

I've actually thoroughly been attempting to soak up my last few days of summer before returning back to work, which I officially did today ... so painful. I'm trying to be positive and energetic about the upcoming school year, but my heart just isn't into it right now. To be fair, I'm not much into anything at the moment, other than good wine (or cold beer), sitting out by the pool, and hanging out with Aidan. But I've got a classroom full of young minds that need me, regardless of my emotional state, so I need to step up.

I'm digressing ... supposed to be talking about music. Focus.

I was listening to my usual "in the car" music the other day (XM Flight 26) and the DJ was introducing a song. She described seeing the artist at a live performance in NYC and said he was remarkably talented, so I was really anxious to hear the song. I immediately loved it -- Come On Get Higher by Matt Nathanson. It's awesome. The crazy thing is, he's just released his sixth (yes, SIXTH!) album. Where the hell has this guy been? Or where the hell have I been??!! Apparently he's got a pretty big following. I need to get out more, I guess. He's incredible -- his acoustic sounds go straight to the soul.

I love what he has to say at the end of the bio on his website ...

"In some ways, I think this is a really mature record, but I don't think it's necessarily one that says 'okay, I'm an adult now," he says. "A lot of times when artists 'mature' in a certain way, they lose the stuff that drew you in and actually blew your mind in the first place. I don't think you need to stay stuck in perpetual adolescence, but you do need to keep part of you frozen -- so you don't lose touch with the wonderment of seeing the world the way you did at 17. I want to hang onto that."

Word, Matt. You've got a new fan down in Texas.

2 comments:

Amber said...

I love this song, too! I heard it for the first time yesterday. I believe I'll be shopping for a CD soon. ;)

Flo said...

Love that song too! I blogged about it in April but apparently I'd had the song in my iTunes library for over a year from a pack of free music I received. I wish I'd looked through that free stuff a little more carefully!