Wednesday, January 27, 2010

happiness is ROY G. BIV

Remember when you were a kid and learned about the color spectrum with the pnemonic, Roy G. Biv? Among all the facts and figures we were forced to soak up, it's funny how the simplest ones seem to stick.

If Roy G. Biv was a real person, I have a feeling he'd be one cool cat -- someone to hang out with and ponder life, while sipping martinis and listening to live jazz or something. Yep. I'm certain he'd be that kind of guy -- smoothe and easy. ;)

I adore color. The brighter, the better, even if there's no rhyme or reason to it (look no further than my crazy tin ornament tree or my fascination with Alamo Fiesta on Main). Rich, gem-tone colors have me breathing deep and smiling on the inside.

Throughout my life, I've taken advantage of various outlets for the creative chunk of my soul that is mostly ignored. My twin sister and I have collaborated together on projects, big and small. Some were fun. Some were good. Some sucked. Not all were technically art, and frequently they involved written language. I've always enjoyed creating something from nothing, and color was consistently an important component of all projects.

Recently, that urge to create has really kicked in again. It's a side of my personality that, I'm ashamed to say, I don't embrace like I should; however, it's ever-present, and it's strong. One of my goals over the next few years is to "get creative" again. No specifics yet, other than it must involve color.

There's a piece of art -- Om Mosaic Window -- I found on Etsy by Mandolin Mosaics that absolutely captivates me. I can only imagine how it must harness and display sunlight -- spectacular, no doubt. Om Mosaic Window epitomizes color -- true, solid, deep, saturated color. Gem tones. Deep reds, blues and oranges. And for some reason, I return to it often and just stare at it. If I had an extra $3,000.00 to plunk down on such things, I'd snatch it up in a heartbeat.

But for now, I'm content to look at Om from afar and to let it inspire me ... to soak it up in all its Roy G. Biv glory and think of all the possibilities ... and of course, all its color.

2 comments:

Edwards Family said...

Hello there!
I'm amanda... amanda lyn... Mandolin Mosaics. :) I'm flattered that you wrote about this piece. It's one of my favorite pieces that I've ever done. Could you guess that I like color too?
Really... thank you so much for you kind words. One of these days, when the light is strong, and the colors are glowing, I'll take a picture of this mosaic for you. :)
-Amanda

Michelle Anderson ♥TheCamerasEye said...

What an awesome creative piece.Very inspirational!