Saturday, September 26, 2009

saturday morning breakfast tacos

One of the things I miss most when I'm away from home is breakfast tacos. No place in the world makes 'em like you can get 'em in Texas, where they're literally a dime a dozen. Whether you order barbacoa or cabrito, the result is always divine.

I'm a pretty good cook, and Ive tried to re-create them ... but it's just not the same. You don't get that perfect combination of the charred grill taste, soft gooey thick tortilla, fresh cilantro, crunchy onions, and spicy fresh salsa.

Texas cities and towns are full of taqueria trucks manned by folks who usually don't speak much English, but who can sure whip up amazing breakfast tacos. And fortunately I know just enough Spanish to be able to order my favorites. The tacos are made right there on site, fresh and delicious. It's wonderful -- the perfect way to kick off a weekend.

It's gotten to the point that, for me, weekends just aren't weekends without breakfast tacos. My tacos of choice are beef fajita on corn tortillas with cilantro and onion -- and a liberal squeeze of fresh lime juice on top. PERFECTION!

One of life's great treats -- hot coffee, breakfast tacos, and the weekend. You seriously can't beat it.

1 comment:

Beverly said...

So delicious ... beef, cilantro, cebollas, limas ....

It's funny you posted this. For the first time in God knows how long, I hit mi pueblito in bryan this a.m. I'd forgotten how awesome that place is.