Thursday, March 31, 2011

cheesy jalapeño breakfast casserole

I stumbled upon this recipe on one of my favorite blogs, the Homesick Texan, and decided to give it a whirl when my mom and sister were visiting last week. I tweaked it some, and can absolutely see it becoming a breakfast-time staple in our house. Everyone loved it!

My only complaint is that I actually wish I'd doubled the recipe -- I could've eaten on it for days and days.

It's a perfect (fast & easy) dish for entertaining out-of-town guests, and would be an absolutely super addition to any brunch.

Ingredients
  • 4 large eggs
  • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup cottage cheese
  • 1 cup shredded Monterrey Jack cheese (4 ounces)
  • 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese (4 ounces)
  • 1 Roma/plum tomato, seeded and cubed
  • 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
  • 1/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 2 jalapeños, stems and seeds removed, diced
  • sour cream, tomatoes, avocado (topped with lime juice), and fresh cilantro, for serving

Preparation

  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Using non-stick cooking spray, lightly grease an 8x8 casserole dish.
  • In a large bowl, beat the eggs. Stir in flour, dry mustard, baking powder and salt.
  • Add the cottage cheese, Monterrey Jack cheese, cheddar cheese, butter, jalapeños, tomatoes, and cilantro; mix.
  • Pour the eggs into the casserole dish, and bake for 35-40 minutes, or until the top is lightly browned and the center is firm.
  • Serve warm topped with a dollop of sour cream, chopped tomatoes, cubed avocado with a squeeze of fresh lime juice, and a sprinkle of fresh cilantro.
Yields 4-6 servings

2 comments:

Beverly said...

The best ever.
I've thought about it countless times since last week.
The toppings made all the difference.
I bet it could be frozen, too.

Lisa Fain (Homesick Texan) said...

I just love all your additions to the recipe. And yes, doubling the recipe is a must!