Yields 4 servings (serving size: about 2 cups pasta mixture and 1 goat cheese round)
- 2 cups Italian style bread crumbs
- 1 (4-ounce) package log-shaped goat cheese
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup coarsely chopped onion
- 1 shallot
- 6-8 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 1/2 cups chopped seeded Roma/plum tomatoes (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 cup water
- 3/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/2 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 8 sea scallops
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon course black pepper
- 1 box cooked capellini (I use Barilla Plus angel hair)
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced fresh basil
- non-stick cooking spray
- basil sprigs (optional)
- shavings/curls parmigiano reggiano
Preheat oven to 400°.
Cook pasta according to directions.
Slice goat cheese into 4 round patties, crosswise. Lightly coat with non-stick cooking spray (I used butter-flavored) and press both sides of each round into breadcrumbs. Arrange in a single layer on a baking sheet; chill.
Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and half the minced garlic; sauté 5 minutes. Stir in tomato, water, and red pepper flakes; cook 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add shrimp, salt and black pepper; cook until shrimp are done. Remove from heat. Cover; keep warm.
In the meantime, sauté remaining garlic (about 4 cloves) and chopped shallot in 2 tablespoons of butter. Cook until both begin to soften, then add one cup of white wine and bring to a boil. Turn down heat and simmer for about 5 minutes.
Heat cast iron pan over medium-high heat for 5 minutes; thoroughly pat scallops dry with paper towels, add salt and pepper to season, then place in hot pan. Sear scallops for approximately 2 minutes per side. Pour garlic and wine mixture over the top of scallops and sprinkle with fresh basil.
Add pasta and 1/2 cup basil to tomato mixture; toss to combine. Divide pasta mixture evenly among 4 bowls; top each serving with 1 goat cheese round and 2 scallops. Garnish with basil sprigs, if desired, and curls of fresh parmigiano reggiano.