Monday, March 07, 2011

spring cleaning

I don't know why it's taken me so long to do this, but I'm clearing out the clutter in my cyber-life ... specifically, my email.

I'm very good at keeping my inbox empty and folders organized. Having a bunch of pending or unread emails would seriously drive my type-A personality mad. I'm also diligent about marking unwanted spam as 'Junk'; however, for some reason, I've managed to allow myself to be the perpetual recipient of hundreds of unwanted newsletters and reminders.

It's not necessarily junk, just continuous correspondence with companies or organizations that I've come across or interacted with in the past, but no longer do. I've gotten so used to seeing their emails regular appear in my inbox, that I just delete without even thinking about it.

No, I really don't care to see 'Which Classmates have updated their Profiles' ... or what Jones New York has on sale this week (I ordered one shirt from Jones New York maybe 3 years ago?). Again, it's legitimate mail that I probably, at one time or another, was interested in. But now? Not so much.

So for the next several weeks/months, I'm going to spend an extra 45 seconds or so clicking through the 'unsubscribe' link and make a concerted effort to remove myself from the gajillion mailing lists on which I've found myself.

I'm feeling less-cluttered already.

No comments: